As a web developer, I have been so impressed with WordPress that I now recommend it to all my clients. Here are some of the reasons why I do and why I am now a great fan of wordpress :-
1. It is free – Not a reason to use something, but for small businesses with limited budgets it sure does help.
2. Almost unlimited resources – being open source software, it has allowed other developers to develop extra add-ons, unknown as ‘plug-ins’ – almost every time you want to do something that wordpress can’t do itself, someone has already done it and published a plug-in for it. There are also many professional themes available from companies such as Studiopress.
3. Totally customisable – As it is open source, you have access to the source code, so you have the ability to edit the source code and the style sheets to make your site truly yours. See a recent site I customised just by editing the css file.
4. Content Managed – Developing sites for clients, almost every client wants to update their own content, wordpress is a great content managed site system, allowing non IT skilled people to easily update their own content as simply as using a word processor.
5. Speed to deliver – Using a standard template, I have managed to get a client’s site up and running and live within a day.